lake county right to life

What is Safe Havens for Newborns? 

Not all women who get pregnant are ready to raise a child. Safe Havens provides a new option. It allows a parent to leave an infant (up to 30 days old) with:

  • a medical worker in a hospital;
  • a medical worker at a fire department or other emergency service organization; or
  • a peace officer at a law enforcement agency.

Who can take a newborn to a Safe Haven?

The parent (mother or father) can take a child to a Safe Havens. The law provides protection from prosecution only for the newborn's parents.

If the infant is left with a person at one of these places, and has not been abused, the parent will face no legal consequences for making this choice.

View (PDF) or order the full brochure.
View (PDF) or order the Medical Information Form.

View (PDF) or order the full brochure: "For Birth Parents: For those who are thinking about making an Adoption plan."

Does the birth parent have to call before taking an infant to a Safe Havens?

No. A parent may take a newborn to a Safe Havens at any time until the newborn is 30 days old.

What information will the birth parent have to provide?

The parent is not required to provide any information, including his or her name. However, it would help the newborn if the parent chose to provide basic health information. The parent will be offered a form to guide them in providing the most important health information at:  View (PDF) form

What happens next?

If the newborn needs medical attention, it will be provided. The professional staff person who accepts the newborn will contact the county children services agency; and the newborn will be placed in an adoptive home. There are many families who want to adopt a baby.

When a parent cannot care for a newborn, leaving the baby at a Safe Havens may be the best choice for the child. If the parent is not sure about this decision, an adoption social worker can help by providing information on available options and services for parents and their babies. The parent may call their local public children services agency (PCSA) or private child placing agency (PCPA).

Resources Raising Children
Any parent who wants to raise their baby but does not know how, may also use the links below to find resources and assistance on caring for and raising children.  Bold Beginnings:  Residents | | Official Website of the State of Ohio and Crisis Support:  

Crisis Support | BOLD Beginning! (

If you change your mind

If either parent changes their mind and wishes to get their newborn back, the parent will need to go to the local public children services agency in the county where the newborn was left.  The parent will be asked to complete a DNA test to prove maternity or paternity and this may be a cost to the parent.

For more information about Safe Havens, please call the Office of Families and Children HelpDesk at:  (866) 886-3537 option #4.